Shrikant’s Test of True Love
The River Reva flowed silently under the evening sky.
Shrikant sat alone beside the river, staring at the water. Seven years had passed, but he still remembered the voice that had changed his life forever.
“I loved you more than myself, Shrikant.”
He closed his eyes, and the memories returned.
The First Meeting
After completing his schooling, Shrikant moved to Ahmedabad for higher education with his childhood friend, Raghav.
One afternoon, in the college library, he noticed a girl searching for a book.
Raghav followed his gaze.
“Who are you staring at?”
“No one,” Shrikant replied.
Raghav laughed. “Then why are you smiling at no one?”
Shrikant ignored him and approached the girl.
“Excuse me, are you looking for this book?”
She smiled.
“Yes. Thank you.”
“I’m Shrikant.”
“Varaa.”
One name. One smile.
And a beautiful story began.
From Friendship to Love
Shrikant and Varaa soon became close friends.
They studied together, shared secrets and spent hours talking.
One evening, Varaa asked,
“Why do you always wait for me after class?”
Shrikant smiled.
“Because I like being with you.”
“Only that?”
He looked at her.
“Maybe I like you more than I should.”
Varaa smiled shyly.
“And what if I like you too?”
“Then I’ll never let you walk alone again.”
Their friendship slowly turned into love.
For seven years, they stayed together through happiness, arguments, failures and dreams.
They believed their love was strong enough to face anything.
But there was one thing Varaa didn't know.
The Letter
Two years earlier, Shrikant's father had discovered their relationship.
He knew that Varaa belonged to another caste.
He wrote a letter to Shrikant.
«My dear Shrikant,
I have come to know about Varaa. I know that you love her, but I cannot accept this relationship.
She belongs to another caste, and our family will never accept a girl from outside our community.
You may think love is enough, but society and family responsibilities are not so simple.
You must end this relationship before it goes any further.
I am your father, and I am asking you to choose your family over this love.
I hope you will understand my decision.
Your Father.»
Shrikant read the letter again and again.
He was heartbroken.
He wanted to tell Varaa, but he was afraid of losing her.
He decided to keep the letter hidden.
He thought,
“Maybe I can change my father's mind.”
But he never imagined that the secret would become the reason for their tragedy.
Varaa Finds the Letter
Two years later, on Shrikant's birthday, Varaa went to surprise him.
Raghav opened the door.
“Where's Shrikant?”
“He went to the temple.”
Varaa smiled.
“On his birthday?”
“Maybe he's praying for you.”
She laughed and entered Shrikant's room.
While waiting, she noticed an old envelope beneath a cushion.
She picked it up.
Then she saw her name.
Curiosity overcame her.
She opened the letter and read it.
Her smile disappeared.
Her hands began trembling.
“He knew this for two years…”
Tears filled her eyes.
“He never told me?”
She felt betrayed.
The Confrontation
When Shrikant returned, he smiled.
“Varaa! You came!”
She threw the letter at him.
His smile disappeared.
“What's this?”
“You tell me.”
Shrikant looked at the letter.
“Varaa, please listen...”
“No. You listen.”
“You knew your father wanted us to separate?”
“Yes, but...”
“But you never told me!”
“I was afraid.”
“Afraid of what?”
“Afraid of losing you.”
Varaa's eyes filled with tears.
“And hiding the truth was supposed to save us?”
“I thought I could convince him.”
“You had two years, Shrikant.”
“I love you.”
“Then why didn't you trust me enough to fight with you?”
Shrikant stepped closer.
“I didn't want you to suffer because of me.”
She shook her head.
“I would have faced everything with you. But you never gave me that choice.”
He held her hand.
“Please don't leave me.”
She looked at him through her tears.
“You chose your silence, Shrikant. Now live with it.”
The Tragedy
Varaa walked toward the balcony.
Shrikant followed her.
“Varaa, please. Don't do anything.”
She turned toward him.
“I loved you more than myself.”
“I know.”
“No, Shrikant. You don't.”
She cried.
“If caste was the problem, we could have fought it together. But you hid the truth from me.”
Shrikant reached for her.
“Please stay.”
She pulled her hand away.
“Goodbye.”
In a moment of overwhelming despair, Varaa climbed over the balcony railing.
“VARAA!”
Shrikant rushed toward her.
But he couldn't stop her.
He ran downstairs and held her in his arms.
“Varaa… please open your eyes.”
There was no response.
“I never stopped loving you.”
His voice broke.
“I was only afraid.”
But it was too late.
The River Reva
Years later, Shrikant still visited the River Reva.
He carried his father's letter with him.
Looking at the river, he whispered,
“Varaa, I should have told you.”
“I should have trusted you.”
“We could have fought against caste together.”
He wiped his tears.
“Maybe love wasn't the problem.”
He looked at the old letter.
“The problem was that I was too afraid to choose love openly.”
The river continued flowing silently.
And Shrikant carried his regret for the rest of his life.
Moral
Love should be judged by character, not caste.
Caste may divide families and society, but honesty, courage and understanding can bring people together.
And sometimes, the greatest tragedy is not that two people didn't love each other—
but that they loved each other and still didn't have the courage to stand together.

Comments
Post a Comment